28 April 2010

Breathing In & Out

First things first: after 18 days of pure torture, JOSHUA FINALLY WAS ABLE TO CALL HOME! It absolutely made my day/week/MONTH! It was nearing 3 weeks and I have been an absolute mess, but I finally got 8 minutes of heaven and it's enough to know my beloved is both alive and well! And that's using his words, too. He sounded wonderful, though he said he was extremely tired. He said, "I'm alive," and I asked if he was hurt, and he said, "No, I'm not hurt baby." Although I don't think he's allowed to tell me if he's hurt, anyway. But YAY, I'm so happy I could burst! I didn't get to ask him any of the questions in the little list book I keep for when he does call, nor did I get to tell him anything at all that I've been dying to talk to him about (wedding plans, getting my car fixed, Codey's injury, etc). All I know is that he's receiving my care packages (which ones, I do not know) and he received the boots at long last!

I can finally breathe, just a little bit.

He called while I was at work in my new office building, where the cubicles are all tiny and open and everyone can hear everything. I ran to an empty cube further away from the aisle and whispered the majority of our conversation, but it was a clear call (thank you, Satellite Phone Gods) and for the first time in many calls, he did not lose service!

I'm happy to say that I've been fairly productive thus far this week, and I'm moving forward and finally coming out of my deployment depression. Last evening after work, thanks to those of you that held me accountable, I went to the gym and tried the yoga class! I really was going to blow it off, because there are certain things I hate doing alone (Example: a new gym class. But like, the movies? I have no problem going to the theater alone. I'm so weird!). But I texted Felice prior to backing down, because I knew she'd tell me to go, and she did not let me down. In I went to the yoga room (after 30 minutes on the elliptical, oohrah!). I felt totally awkward and skeptical the whole time, thinking... "What the hell am I doing?" But then at the end, we were laying on our mats and doing a breathing exercise, and the instructor said, "Take a few moments to yourself..." and I thought, "What? A few moment to myself? Hmm. Okay!" And with the trickling water/wind chime music surrounding me, I felt so far away from everything happening at home and in Afghanistan. I felt peaceful, calm, and this assurance that everything would work out okay.

Needless to say, I'm going back to yoga!

Can I also just say that girls that do yoga have the hottest bodies? While I was waiting outside the classroom for the previous class to end, all these thin, shapely, toned women were standing waiting in their flip flops with yoga mats. I want a yoga body! I was seriously one of the biggest girls there... ugh. All the more motivation to go back though, yeah?

So of course after work today, I bought myself my very own yoga mat and mat bag. Shopaholic, remember? I was already headed to Target at 5pm to get the things Joshua asked for in his next package— more razors (the "good" razors), Febreeze, blueberry Special K bars, more socks— so I stopped by Marshalls and picked up a nice orange yoga mat for $12.99 for myself and a flower yoga mat for my momma. Then I went to Target and got a pretty yellow yoga mat bag for $19.99.
 

I can't wait for my next class... I'll have to check the gym schedule to see when it is. I didn't know it was such a good workout... I am so incredibly sore today! My legs, my arms, my butt... it all hurts. Ow! I took today off but it's back to the gym tomorrow. Must be a buff bride!

14 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to take up yoga, but part of me just can't manage to do it, because i don't understand how something with such little movement can be so good for you, haha.

    I need to learn to think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a shopaholic too! Ben told me when we are married, my credit card will have a $300 spending limit each month...hm. I told him he WILL not be getting groceries then! lol. I love your mat bag! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for getting to hear from him! I know this makes everything better for awhile at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Dani!!! That's aweseome!! And I'm sooo happy you got the call!! Yay!!

    Yeah, I did BikramYoga at one point...It was awesome (for getting in shape), but it was shear torture. In Bikram, they heat the room to 105 degrees, and the class lasts 90 min!! So, yeah, that was my only experience with yoga... sounds like the normal class is bearable.. lol. I may have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yoga is crazy... I do the free sessions on Exercise TV (because I can't afford a gym membership, and there are no classes at the base gym...and I really don't want to go there with all the mil-guys, haha) which are so intense. I'm just happy I've been able to stay motivated, exercising alone isn't easy.

    I was super skeptical about yoga too, but the "little movement" is a lie, your body is moving ALL the freaking time! Esp. when you finally figure out the breathing thing (elongate on an inhale, stretch deeper on an exhale) which took me forever.

    I'm glad he called! I'm glad you are breaking out of the deployment blues =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I didn't disappoint you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE yoga, but I absolutely despise going alone! You should see if your gym does a Bikram yoga class. It's heat yoga and you sweat like a pig, but feel amazing after!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey shop addict =) congrats on the phone call! i know that was AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I took a yoga class a few years ago...and it was amazing! The "time for yourself" time at the end of class was always amazing since sometimes that was the only time to myself I would get all week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's always such a relief to get a phone call! hang in there! ps, i love your blog & had to leave you (another!) reader award: http://expeditionaryfamily.blogspot.com/2010/04/commendation.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got to talk to your man...such a relief! It's amazing what just hearing their voice can do for you!

    Awesome that you liked yoga...I am with you. I don't like going to new things like that alone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phone calls are always like heaven:) Even if its only an "I love you"....thats all we need to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have wanted to try yoga for sooo long. But I havent and my gym offers it. You inspired me to try it. I am going to look up the schedule

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took a class last semester. Best stretch ever. It makes you feel so loose and calm afterward. Try working out AFTER the class, and you will move a lot better.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Please let me know you've stopped by!