03 April 2010

One Month Down

Phew! What an intense April thus far. I think I need to get back to the gym so at least I can *fake* being strong... this deployment is kicking my ass! It is so emotionally stressful, and I feel so guilty even SAYING that, because I'm not the one in Afghanistan. This week was particularly hard though because there were a few "River City" incidents, not to mention one of Joshua's Marines was shot and sent home. I knew several Marines in other companies have been shot and sent home to heal (note that his unit has barely been over there a MONTH), but this was the closest I've heard of it happening near Joshua.

Can I just say that the military wives gossip network is insane? I can't believe how much info some Marines give their girls! I'm not complaining, because I have this impossible urge to NEED to know every little detail of every little incident happening to the absolute one and only love of my life 25/7 (seriously, it's sick... I have Google news alerts sent to my Blackberry several times a day). And I figure... as long as I'm not spreading around the gossip I get from my Marine wife friends, it isn't hurting anyone. I take it and lock it away in the DO NOT TELL files of my brain and wait until I see it on the news to discuss it. Sigh.

Funny story... the first time a fellow Marine's girlfriend told me "They can't call home right now because of River City," I jumped online to Google "River City, Afghanistan." I texted my friend back and said, "I can't find any info about River City, what part of Afghanistan is it?!" to which she replied, "It isn't a place." Haha......... oh geez.

To all my non-military friends, note to self that River City is NOT a place! It's an expression the Marines use to describe what happens when a Marine is killed or injured. All contact with the outside world stops by cutting phone lines and internet connections until the next of kin are notified. I told Joshua about this a few weeks ago (while scolding him for not explaining this to me!), and he laughed and said, "Yeah, that was a total boot move!" Oh my, it was.

The stress caused for some retail therapy Thursday night, and I picked up some new sneakers to motivate me to run!


And also some new flip flops for the summer... All of mine are either really "floppy" or too decorative and pretty, so I opted for something a bit more practical/sporty:

Must. Stop. Shopping.
Must. Start. Saving.

In other news, today was the first beautiful day up here. Work was so stressful this week that I took all day today and did absolutely nothing... I looked through a bridal magazine and started a new wedding registry at Pampered Chef... ha. I didn't even take out my day planner and to-do list ONCE! Now that it's nearing 2300 though, I'll probably glance at it before bed and freak of all the things I said I'd accomplish this weekend. Oh dear. I also baked some cookies and sat on the front porch with Jodie...


Easter dinner with the family isn't until 3pm, so I have some time to get things done before then. Without taking out my planner, I know I have to bake a birthday cake, do laundry, get ready for Wednesday's cake class... scrapbook? Ha. And then a million other little insignificant things that always take too much time. 

Ooh, I also have to call the girls back. My darling best friends called me throughout the week to check in and see how I was doing, but I was just too depressed to talk to anyone. Luckily, they always understand and are always here for me! So I will be returning your calls tomorrow, girls, if you read this! 

And of course, the best news for last... Joshua called me early-early Friday morning! Yay! He sounded well, still hasn't received any of my packages or letters yet, but well nonetheless! It had been over a week since I'd last heard from him, and it was such a relief. I love that man SO much! Of course I didn't get to tell him everything I wanted to tell him, nor could he tell me anything at all, but we talked about normal, simple things—he may reenlist while he's in country, I may move down to North Carolina sooner than expected, work is annoying, money is coming in, I love you, I miss you, I love you, etc.—and it was bliss! 

So tomorrow is a new day, and Monday is a new week. We're in month two, whoo hoo! 

6 comments:

  1. It's weird to think that we get upset when we don't hear from our marine because it's "RC", when someone's family is forever changed. It really makes you STOP and think about things.

    For all the tears that are shed, there will always be "RC".

    On a happier note...hope you had a great Easter! Shop your little heart out:) We ALL do it, it keeps us happy while they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the SAME thing when my Spouse mentioned River City. Except I just asked him where it was. He said "seriously?"...how can I know if no one tells me??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Dani, I didn't know what RC was until I just read your post. haha. Yeah, it's been a tough deployment. I'm not a fan.

    I'm glad time is divided into 24 hour segments, and I'm able to sleep for 8 of those hours.... I know I wouldn't be able to handle a longer day. I'm right there fighting for that inner strength too. It will come...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I also did not know what RC meant, never heard the term (and this is my hubby's 3rd deployment!)

    I do get mad that he doesn't tell me stuff like this, but he forgets that I DON'T KNOW everything he knows. :)

    Have you done the LINKS online training for new spouses? It's on the marine net online program (free). It helped me a little with stuff I should have known a LONG time ago. LOL

    Hang in there, it does not get easier but it does eventually get....well, OVER. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey sweetie! sorry you are having a rough week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled across your blog and wanted to tell you to keep your head up! I went through two deployments with my husband. Lean on those military wives {you trust} around you - as civilian people just don't understand...it does get a little easier. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Please let me know you've stopped by!