06 July 2010

{Ten On Tuesday}

I'm following the lead of my lovely maid-of-honor (Sue)'s Tuesday idea today. I started writing a "dish" session on the random things I had going on lately, then realized it amounted to 10 things and that it's also Tuesday. Love ya, Susie-Q!

1 ♥ This week at work, I'm art directing a photo shoot for a new dessert program at the company I work for. We're photographing cakes, cupcakes, brownies, pie, cannolis, fruit tarts, tuxedo strawberries, and other assorted desserts for the next three weeks. Yum!

2 ♥ Interestingly enough, the only reason I became involved with this dessert program (as it falls outside my role as packaging designer for the company) was because of my interest in cakes after the cake decorating class I took last spring! Well, that and the fact that I'm particularly good at coming up with names for products, and they wanted my help naming all the new desserts.

3 ♥ I was given the responsibility to design the entire brochure for the program (I volunteered for it). Not only will it be a lovely addition to my portfolio, but who doesn't want to work with cakes and sweets all day?!

4 ♥ My incredible/amazing/generous/kick-ass fiancĂ© helped me buy a new computer by giving me permission to dip into our wedding savings to purchase it. He knows that I'm preparing to leave my job to start my freelance career when he returns home, and my six-year old Apple Powerbook G4 (yes, I'm a Mac) recently became the s.l.o.w.e.s.t computer ever, stopped playing graphics/video, gave me the spinning beach ball every 5 minutes, and made an hour project take 3 hours. Not to mention, loading blogs was the slowest thing ever AND I didn't have a webcam. Six years in Apple laptop years is like... ancient. Like dinosaur ancient. So now, I'm the proud owner of a 27" iMac with 4GB memory and a 1TB hard drive! I can't wait for him to call home again so I can inform him of our latest investment.

5 ♥ Speaking of calling home, it's been a week since I last heard from my beloved. Helmand is still blowing up and the deployment has still been really rough on our battalion. I'm worried and I just want to hear his voice to know that he's okay.

6 ♥ Whenever Joshua calls from Afghanistan, these are the first things I say to him:

  • "I love you!" (because it is imminent that our call will be cut short before I am able to say this at the end of the conversation... damn satellite phones) 
  • "Are you okay?!"
  • "Do you have all of your body parts?!"
  • "How is your head, is your head okay? Any concussions I should know about?!" (after what happened to Codey, I want every single detail, and I will continue to ask even though I know he isn't allowed to tell me about the small incidents that happen) 

 Depending on how he is actually doing, he'll answer in one of the following ways:

  • "Well, I'm alive." (this means it's been bad since we last talked)
  • "Yes baby, I'm okay." (this is what we like to hear)
  • "I'm doing better now." (this means he's happy to finally be able to call me)

7 ♥ My list of books to-be-read and books in progress is outrageous. I have to come up with a plan to get them all read. I've started a few but I haven't finished them, and I really just have to stick to one and get it done. First up on the list?



Married to the Military by Meredith Leyva. To all my mil•spouse friends: read it! It's so informative and is an easy read. I started it back in February before Joshua deployed, but I stopped reading it and just picked it up again to finish. I'm about halfway through, right around the chapter called Personal Finances: Military Style. Very good tips.

8 ♥ Meredith Leyva is also the founder of CinCHouse.com, which she mentions a lot in the book. The website has a military pay estimator that I have to say was RIGHT on target. I've been handling all of Joshua and my finances since he left, and it really helped me create a budget for us to go by (based on his pay) for when we're living together in NC. Definitely helpful in this economy!

9 ♥ I am in absolute lust over these beauties in black/gray:

10 ♥ P90X and I took a break for a bit (we're just finishing up week 2 over a two-week time period), but I'm leaving now to do my workout for the day and get some more work done for my up&coming business. Have a good night!

8 comments:

  1. I would also recommend you reading this book, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Life as a Military Spouse" -Lissa McGrath. To be honest, I liked this one a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is new and updated in that one? Because I hated that book. I thought the information was old an irrelevant and not helpful in the least when I read it, about 5 years ago. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll check out the Idiot's Guide, Ines! And Sarah... it says it's revised to "reflect the reality of military and economic unrest around the world," so I guess more financial/career advice? Idk, it's the first mil•spouse book I've read besides LINKS (ha) and so far, it's definitely better than not having anything at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new Mac? That's totally exciting! Hope you get to hear from you man soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for a new Mac! I'll have to check that book out. I've been meaning to read military books like that for a while. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! For a new Mac. I love my Macbook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice mac purchase!!! I'm planning on teaching lessons out of my home when i get to NC... bringing a piano and everything. lol.... too bad it's not as easy to transport as a mac.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey love- Sue and I are starting off our day reading your wonderful blog and we must know- where are the sunglasses from? u left out an important detail!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Please let me know you've stopped by!