17 August 2010

Letter of Resignation

So now that I've officially given my notice to work, I can officially talk about it publicly! Let me tell you... resigning from a job you love is no cup of tea. It was, and will continue to be, very difficult!

Technically, I have two bosses at my current job (bonus 10 points for the people who actually know/understand why! lol). Basically, I'm the graphic designer for a supermarket but I work for the company that brokers the food they sell. That company's headquarters is out of state, and they have hundreds of accounts worldwide... I happened to work at this one supermarket account, so I have a boss/supervisor with the supermarket and also a boss with my company. What I'm trying to say is, I had to give my notice twice to two different bosses. And they don't really play on the same team.

Awkward! I'm much closer with the people at the supermarket headquarters than I am with my company's people, so I told that boss first. We've become close friends since I began working here (in fact, we just got back from seeing Eclipse together... my third time, but who's counting?). So I told her, and she cried... a lot. She knew it was coming, but she was still upset. It's a really busy time at work right now with our annual company trade show coming up, and the ginormous bakery project I'm currently working on outside of that.

Giving her my notice was rough. I felt horrible. I was dreading it all week. I had knots in my stomach because I knew she'd be upset, and I knew the timing wasn't perfect, and she was talking about all these upcoming projects we have and I kept thinking to myself oh God, I won't be here for that... I won't be here to help with that either... I want to work on that but I'll be gone by then and it made me more nervous. So on Thursday at the end of the day, I told her. I couldn't bear to tell her on Friday the 13th because she hates that day and had already mentioned it a month earlier because she saw there was a Friday the 13th on the calendar. So I told her, and she tried to convince me to stay another two weeks (on top of the three weeks notice I was already giving), and it was just sad. Boo. :(

On Friday, I told my other boss. I wasn't as nervous to tell him, because at my last review earlier this year, I had mentioned that eventually I would like to move to be with my fiancĂ©. So he knew it was coming. This was after he told me that my position as Graphic Designer could never be upgraded to Senior Designer because it wasn't in the budget for our account, so if I wanted to grow with the company or be promoted, I'd have to move to another account or become a Business Manager (barf). Basically, they knew I'd be leaving eventually anyway. This was a two-year, three-year position, tops. Unless you're the type who doesn't have a desire to move ahead, which I very much am not. There is always room to grow!

I had to give him a formal letter of resignation. For the record, Google has dozens of great examples of letters of resignation to go off. I read through a ton, picked apart what I liked, and put together my own. I emailed it to my dad for his approval (the experienced VP that he is), and then I designed a letterhead for it and printed it out.

Yes... that's right. I designed my letter of resignation. I figured, I went in as a designer... I'll go out as a designer too! After all, they keep such things on file in case you ever want future employment with the company. And since we have accounts worldwide and I'm marrying a Marine... you just never know!

Anyway, the meeting/resignation with him went fine. But he made me wait until Tuesday (today) to tell the rest of the team. Also awkward, because I had to set up a meeting to tell them, "Hey! I just quit! No, I don't have another job, I did it for love!" Well, not in so many words, but... whatever. And now the rest of the office is slowly starting to find out and come to my desk and say "congrats!" Either that, or "wtf!" They all seem kind of sad about it. Which I suppose is a compliment?

And with that, I'll leave you with my letter of resignation in case any of you ever want to copy/paste/piece together the bits that I stole from others floating around the internet. Yay, resignation!

[Date]
[Boss Name & Address]
Dear [Boss],
Please accept this letter of resignation from my position at [Company] as [Position] for [Department]. My last day of employment will be [Date], which will provide sufficient time for me to finish ongoing projects and turn over my position to my replacement.
Thank you so much for the opportunities for professional and personal development that you have provided me during my tenure here with [Company]. I have enjoyed working with the people and the company, and I appreciate the experiences I have been given and your professional guidance and support. If I can be of any assistance during this transition, please let me know. I would be glad to help however I can.
I wish you and the team success in your future endeavors.
Sincerely, 
[You]
My mom took this at Family Day at the office a couple months ago... bye bye, cubicle!

7 comments:

  1. 1st- your little office area was CUTE!

    2nd- how is wedding planning going, I have hit a little burn out phase, but i'll get back around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait wait wait, are you going to be moving to Jacksonville? AHHH Thats where we are stationed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yeah I reply the same way. My Joshua is stationed at Lejeune also, we LOVE it! I'm sorry you had to leave your job you loved, but i think fitting your BM's will pump you back up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for getting it over with girl! I know that has got to be hard. Can't wait to see ya soon though! And I agree, your little office area is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you got it over with! I know it must have been hard for you to leave, I know it was hard for me to leave my job in college but I had to if I was going to get married and move to North Carolina. Hopefully it will get easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh! Well I'm excited, happy, and sad for you all at the same time! I think you handled it well. I absolutely cannot wait to find out what will come of this leap of faith. Who knows what wonderful possibilities are in store for you?

    *big hug**

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! You handled that so well! I'm excited for your marriage! Best wishes!

    P.S. We're @ CLJ too! <3

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Please let me know you've stopped by!