07 February 2012

SYL: Week Two


One of the projects I'm doing this year is a 52 Weeks to Simplify Your Life challenge. This is the 6th week of the challenge, and I'm working to catch up. The challenge is about making small changes in your life one week at a time. Topics discussed include:

Inner/Mental Clutter 
Time Management 
Our Stuff/Possessions 
Household Management 
Health/Beauty/Wellness 
Relationships and family 
Money and work 
Holidays and rituals 
Reflection  


The Week Two challenge is: Define Your Personal Values. I really enjoyed this week! Coming up with a list of my top five personal values was a lot harder than I imagined... ranked in order, no less! It took me almost an hour, and a lot of thought. In the end, I found that 3 of my 5 values have been important to me my entire life; 2 have been variable. 

My favorite thing the challenge coach (Deb) wrote was why finding your values is important: 
What happens when you are clear on what your values are?  
• You get in touch with what is important to you in life  
• You begin to see where your focus should be 
• Once you commit to and “own” your values you can, more easily, figure out what to let go of in your life 
• You can approach your life with intention 
• You have a framework or guide to stand on as you decide how to parent your children and the lessons you want them to absorb
I also like that I was reminded that these are my values, not what values I think I should have. I wrote them as if I was the only person who would see them, and I love the result. 

So here is how I went about this. First, I went through and listed all the words I felt strongly about or liked, gathering ideas from here and adding a few of my own. I later found more words here and here, and there are a ton more via Google... turns out, this is a popular exercise!

I narrowed my list down to 15, then when I got down to 7, I looked up the definitions for each. That helped me narrow it down to my top 5. And from there, I ranked them. And turned them all into nouns, because as we know,  I am OCD.

So without further ado, these are my top 5 personal values.

genuineness gen•u•ine•ness (noun)
  1. possessing the claimed or attributed character, quality, or origin
  2. authentic; real

creativity 
cre•a•tiv•it•y (noun)
  1. the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.
  2. originality, progressiveness, or imagination

family
fam•i•ly (noun)
  1. the ones you live with, laugh with, and love
  2. the people who know you the best and love you the most
  3. is forever

contribution con•tri•bu•tion (noun)
  1. the part played by a person or thing in bringing about a result or helping something to advance
  2. given (money, time, knowledge, assistance, etc.) to a common purpose
  3. for me: contributing to our family; providing original content to my friends, creatives, and blog readers; and creating meaningful designs that provide solutions & a unique vision

beauty 
beau•ty (noun)
  1. the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations, a meaningful design or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest)
  2. an individually pleasing or beautiful quality; grace; charm


After I did this exercise, I was so pumped that I asked Joshua to do it. He spent some time with it, and eventually came back to me with his own set of values. We tried to guess each other's (I guessed one of his— loyalty, he guessed two of mine— creativity & family). It was really fun!

Joshua's top 5 values:
loyalty, leadership, efficiency, discipline, service

I love him. 



2 comments:

  1. I'm doing Deb's challenge too, and this was my favorite challenge, even though it took me forever! I really like how you approached it with the definitions of your values, and how you got your other half involved too. Looking forward to sharing the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up on my reading (sorry so late) - love what you have done (and it looks so pretty). Thank you for defining the nouns - i am always feeling bad that I don't do more creative things enough but seeing the definition I know i am creative in my approach to life, my thinking etc so it is just the visual form of creativity I have not tapped into as much.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Please let me know you've stopped by!