10 February 2012

What's in my... Closet!

I'm going to start a new "series" of sorts here on the blog called "What's in my..."

I'm planning to share different areas of my house, life, and spaces and how I organize it. Personally, I love seeing how other people do things. Like how your pantry is organized, what you keep in your makeup stash, what does your laundry room look like?

What can I say? I'm curious. I'm curious to see what's inside a real person's home... not just another perfect space in a magazine page or show room. 

My second thought with this is that if I plan ahead what I'll be sharing, I'll be more likely to get it neat, clean, and tidy— therefore holding myself accountable.

I've thought about making this a link-up as well, though I don't know if anyone else would actually be interested. I'm going to try it today and next week and see how it goes. I'll keep the link-up open for 2 weeks after it's posted (because I plan to do these every other week), and that way anyone joining can link in.

Also, at the end of each post I'll list what I'll be sharing next, so everyone has just as much time to prepare as me.

I'd love to see inside your closets, so please take a few pics and share! Now, to get to it.

I'm lucky to have a whole closet all to myself, because my awesome husband took one of the spare rooms as his office and uses that closet for all his clothes. I have to say... I was very impressed at the size of the closets here in base housing!


I organize my closet by what type of clothing it is. So all my camis hang together; longer tops to pair with leggings; button-downs; polos; nicer tops for work; turtlenecks; and casual T-shirts. I used to organize by color, but my clothes got lost in each other that way. Plus, I pick out what I want to wear based on what kind of top I feel like, not by the color.


I keep my pants on the lower racks, by my shoes. Sweatshirts above my shoe shelf. Tall boots on the floor. As you can tell, I'm pretty OCD about my hangers all matching. 


I've been hanging my purses for awhile now, and it works out so well! They stay neat and in sight, so I remember I have them! I used to keep them all in a drawer and I always forgot what I had. For the most part, I'm almost exclusively a Coach & Vera Bradley girl (it pays to buy good bags, because they last foreverrrr).


My clutches and wallets all have a spot on this shelf here below the hanging purses. If I had a choice, I'd only carry clutches— and a lot of times, I do. My big purses get so heavy with all the crap I put into them, so I love to leave that home and just take an over-sized wallet or cute clutch.


Above that are my nice shoes. You know— the shoes I've bought for weddings or formals, or strappy summer shoes that I like to keep protected.


The other side of my closet has folded sweaters; long sleeve T-shirts; gym pants; and zip-ups. Beneath the folded items are my cardigans; light jackets & blazers; skirts; and dresses.


One thing that I think everyone needs to invest in is a shoe shelf. So much cuter than those over-the-door racks, and just as easy to organize. I got mine at Target. When I see my shoes, I wear them. I organize my shoes by type, too. Closed-toe heels; flats; open-toe heels; wedges; summer shoes; and sneakers.


& Boots! I think Pinterest was where I saw the idea to stuff your boots so they stand up straight and maintain their shape. The idea was to stuff with paper— I use old T-shirts that I would otherwise toss. Re-purpose when you can!

Go forth and organize your closets. Then take photos and share with me. Fun fun. Happy Friday, lovelies.

The next share is going to be: 
What's in my... Planner! 
Scheduled for February 24th

9 comments:

  1. WOW! You are organized!! I consider myself to be OCD (and yes, I take up a whole closet too :) ... but yeah, I'm a slob compared to you! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series already!
    P.S.? I'm having a serious, serious moment of closet envy. Bless you so hard for using every inch of space to its max!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how organized! We just moved in so there's nothing in my closet at the moment but I'm hoping to link up next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Closet Space! I am SOOOOOOOO Jealous! I'll post this on my blog over the next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want all that room!!!! That is awesome! :) Found you through Military Monday Blog Hop. Look forward to following! Please feel free to follow back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...you have so much closet space, i am very jealous + your so organized!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Please let me know you've stopped by!