18 April 2012

April Highs

Dear blog,

I'm so very sorry I've been neglecting you this month year. But you see, my life has been so completely full of so many wonderful, interesting, & challenging things, that... well... there just hasn't been the time.

I realized today that I haven't really posted anything "personal" this year— no photos of the day-to-day of our lives, how we spend our time, etc. I'm tired of saying "I've been too busy to post." This year has just been flying by, and while I'm loving every bit of us living it— and I need to make the time to document it. Transitioning back into a lifestyle blog (non-work, non-business) seems like the best idea!

April alone has been so much fun. Husband & I are busy bees, and on top of that I've very recently been forced to make some lifestyle changes (more on that later). But change is good, and it's what I need right now. Out with the bad, in with the good. Out with the old, in with the new. Focusing on LESS (my One Little Word) of everything.

Let's take a look at the highlights of April, shall we? Hard to believe we're already halfway through the month... and over a quarter of the way into 2012!


Joshua & I have been satisfying our Mexican addiction & enjoying the warm (but fluctuating) Virginia weather by eating outside whenever it's nice out. We've been terrible at grocery shopping this month, so our go-to has been take-out and restaurants.


Easter weekend, we had a quiet couple of days at home working, although we did venture out to Georgetown with Lady to go to the home of DC Cupcakes. We met my girlfriend Ashley and her boyfriend Thomas there, and we enjoyed a nice afternoon full of sunshine and sugar.

Those cupcakes, by the way? Seriously amazing. And so worth the line that wrapped around the block to get them.


I've mentioned before that we live in base housing. We were lucky enough to get a house with a fenced in yard for Lady. By "yard," I mean a small plot of grass. Too small to purchase a lawn mower for... or so we thought. Then one day our yard became a jungle overnight. The grass grew taller than Lady, and suddenly... something had to be done...


Enter Husband. He went to Lowes & bought us a weed whacker, then proceeded to cut the the grass while I stood by and drooled at how sexy it was. Why does weed whacking attract me? It doesn't, but I love my man in a white T-shirt & jeans... add to that his strong arms, rugged combat boots, and initiative to clean up our yard and well— I just love him, is all I'll say. :-)


One of the biggest challenges this month was discovering that I have a wheat allergy. I went to the allergist on a whim (mainly out of curiosity), and asked to be tested for a gluten intolerance. Turns out, I'm not only allergic to wheat, but also dustmites, cockroaches (ew... you remember from my time living in North Carolina how I feel about these), cats, and dogs.

Okay, I knew about the cat allergy. But dogs? DOGS? Ha, ha. I may be "allergic" to Lady, but... she isn't going anywhere. Ever. And that's all there is to it. :-)


One of the BEST things to happen this month was that my family came to visit. My mom was here for 5 days from Albany, and my brother and his girlfriend were here for 3 from Philly. It was so good to have my family here! I miss them so much, all the time. Joshua & I took them to a local winery for a tasting and some delicious food. We all left with several bottles of vino!


We also took them to Kings Dominion, the closest theme park here to Quantico. What BLAST that was! We went on a bunch of rollercoasters, played some games, and got soaking wet on the water rides. It was the best day!


With the warm weather upon us (and my hair's desperate need for a trim & some color), I've been getting creative with my longer locks. I've rediscovered my curling iron, learned a cool twist on YouTube, piled it all on top in a bun, and ditched the bangs with a skinny headband. It's been kind of fun playing around... and now I'm debating getting lowlights.



While my mom was in town, I took her shopping with me to get new glasses. I love my mom's opinion. She's the best shopping buddy ever. A pair of prescription glasses and sunglasses later for me, 2 pairs of sunglasses later for her, and we were out the door.

My dear sweet husband's Dell laptop finally gave up on him (a mere 2 years after he bought it), so we financed a beautiful new 17" MacBook Pro for him— the same computer I have at work. He is in love, I was happy to teach him the ways of Apple, and all is well is our happy home. :-)


9 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness! I can't believe all the shots on your arms! At least you know now!
    They are opening a "Georgetown Cupcakes" shop only 1 and a 1/2 blocks away from my work on Newbury in a few months... I'm excited to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, that was nothing... they do your back first with nearly double that many pricks! Ahh!

      DEFINITELY give Georgetown Cupcakes a try, they're so worth it!

      Delete
  2. You have been very busy lady!! I am now craving a margarita, cupcakes, and want to have an allergy test as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaritas and cupcakes sound amazing.

    Lady is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all your pics!!! Looks like you have had a good month so far! Love the hair too! Did you go lighter?? LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! awesome pics- I could comment on all of them. ha. I am a sucker for cupcakes and those look delicious. Also, I am loving your hair- I wish you could teach me how!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They prick your back now? Yeesh! When my brother had those done years ago it was all up and down both arms. They did environmental allergies on the upper arms and food allergies on the lower arms. Lower arms - totally clear. Upper arms - chicken pox. (practically, that is) I'm allergic to dogs, too, but that's part of why we bathe the dogs at least twice a month and vacuum constantly. If Achilles is too dirty and I touch my face after petting him, my eyes swell up. But what would we do without them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drinks, cupcakes, puppies and allergies. I think we're meant to be best friends forever. ;)

    I recognize those sticks, but I never had myself tested for gluten. Wonder if I should consider it. Honestly didn't know you could do that. Had myself recently tested for everything else under the sun and am pretty much absolutely allergic to it all. Fun times. Two dogs and four cats here. Mild reactions to both. Yikes!

    Oh, and hair! Let me not forget hair! Love it! :>

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Please let me know you've stopped by!